Podcasts sur l'histoire

Frank Crowninshield

Frank Crowninshield


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Francis (Frank) Crowninshield, fils de Frederic Crowninshield et d'Helen Suzette Fairbanks Crowninshield, est né le 24 juin 1872. Son père était peintre et a été pendant deux ans directeur de l'Académie américaine à Rome. Crowninshield a fait ses études à New York où l'un de ses camarades était Condé Nast. C'était le début d'une longue amitié.

Comme son père, il s'intéressait beaucoup à la peinture et finit par devenir critique d'art de Le magazine du siècle. Au cours de cette période, il a promu le travail d'artistes modernes tels que Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Jules Pascin, Édouard Manet, Edgar Degas et Pierre-Auguste Renoir. Il a également acheté une partie de leur travail et ceux-ci ont ensuite été vendus avec un gros profit.

En 1909, Condé Nast a acheté un petit magazine de société appelé Vogue. Il a employé Crowninshield comme rédacteur en chef et au cours des années suivantes, il en a fait le principal magazine de mode et de style de vie du pays. Il a également été publié dans plusieurs villes européennes, dont Londres et Paris, et il est devenu un aspect très rentable de l'empire croissant des magazines de Nast.

Nast a également décidé de créer un nouveau magazine, Salon de la vanité. Il a demandé conseil à Crowninshield. Il a répondu : « Votre magazine doit couvrir les sujets dont les gens parlent... Les fêtes, les arts, les sports, le théâtre, l'humour, etc. Nast s'est rendu compte que Crowinshield était le meilleur homme pour éditer le nouveau magazine qui a été lancé en janvier 1914. Crowninshield a dit à ses lecteurs : « Nous, en tant que nation, avons réalisé le besoin de plus de gaieté, de cacher un visage solennel, mesure de courage, et pour la grande bonne humeur. Salon de la vanité signifie être aussi joyeux que n'importe qui. Il imprimera de l'humour, il regardera la scène, les arts, le monde des lettres, le sport, et la vie hautement vitalisée, électrique et diversifiée de nos jours sous l'angle franchement joyeux de l'optimiste, ou, ce qui est à peu près la même chose, du point de vue moqueur et gai du satiriste. »

Crowninshield a développé une réputation pour identifier les bons écrivains. En 1916, il publie les premiers poèmes de Dorothy Parker. Elle a rappelé plus tard : " M. Crowninshield, que Dieu ait son âme, a payé douze dollars pour un petit verset m'a donné un travail sur Vogue à dix dollars par semaine." Deux ans plus tard, elle remplaça PG Woodhouse en tant que critique de théâtre du magazine. D'autres membres du personnel à l'époque comprenaient Donald Ogden Stewart, Robert Benchley, Robert E. Sherwood et Helen Brown Norden. Crowninshield accepta également les poèmes, des nouvelles et des articles de certains des jeunes écrivains les plus passionnants des années 1920. Cela comprenait Alexander Woollcott, Aldous Huxley, Edmund Wilson, Gertrude Stein, TS Eliot, Ferenc Molnár, Djuna Barnes, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Noël Coward et Thomas Wolfe En 1917, le magazine avait un tirage de 90 000 exemplaires.

En 1919, Crowninshield commença à déjeuner avec un groupe d'écrivains dans la salle à manger de l'hôtel Algonquin à New York. L'écrivain Murdock Pemberton a rappelé plus tard que le propriétaire de l'hôtel, Frank Case, avait fait ce qu'il pouvait pour encourager ce rassemblement : plus de quatre ou six sont venus, les tables pouvaient être glissées pour s'occuper des nouveaux arrivants, nous nous sommes assis dans ce coin pendant de longs mois... Frank Case, toujours astucieux, nous a déplacé vers une table ronde au milieu de la chambre et fourni gratuitement hors-d'œuvre. Cela, je pourrais ajouter, n'était à aucun moment un ciment pour le rassemblement... La table s'est agrandie principalement parce que nous avions alors des intérêts communs. Nous étions tous du théâtre ou des métiers connexes. » Case a admis qu'il les a déplacés vers un endroit central à une table ronde dans la salle Rose, afin que d'autres puissent les regarder profiter de la compagnie de l'autre.

Ce groupe est finalement devenu connu sous le nom de Table ronde algonquine. Parmi les autres habitués de ces déjeuners figuraient Robert E. Sherwood, Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley, Alexander Woollcott, Heywood Broun, Harold Ross, Donald Ogden Stewart, Edna Ferber, Ruth Hale, Franklin Pierce Adams, Jane Grant, Neysa McMein, Alice Duer Miller, Charles MacArthur, Marc Connelly, George S. Kaufman, Beatrice Kaufman, Ben Hecht, John Peter Toohey, Lynn Fontanne, Alfred Lunt et Ina Claire.

Salon de la vanité publié plus de pages de publicités que tout autre magazine américain. En conséquence, Crowninshield était très soucieux de ne pas contrarier ceux qui ont aidé à financer le magazine. Cela comprenait le producteur de théâtre, Florenz Ziegfeld, qui s'est opposé à une critique d'une pièce de Dorothy Parker mettant en vedette sa femme, Billie Burke : « Miss Burke est à son meilleur dans ses moments les plus sérieux ; dans son désir de transmettre la féminité du personnage , elle joue ses scènes plus légères comme si elle imitait Eva Tanguay." Parker a acquis la réputation de faire des commentaires durs dans ses critiques et le 12 janvier 1920, elle a été limogée par Crowninshield.

Robert E. Sherwood et Robert Benchley ont tous deux démissionné suite au limogeage. Comme John Keats, l'auteur de Autant vivre : la vie et l'époque de Dorothy Parker (1971) : « Il est difficile aujourd'hui d'imaginer un magazine de Salon de la vanitéL'importance de s'est ensuite imposée aux producteurs de Broadway, mais les journaux et les magazines de 1920 l'ont fait, et c'était un point sensible pour les journalistes et les critiques de théâtre à la Table ronde. Ils croyaient que si un acteur était coupable d'exagération, il n'était ni plus ni moins que le devoir d'un critique de signaler qu'il l'était - que les producteurs soient damnés. De plus, dans ce cas, la position de Vanity Fair semblait être celle d'accepter une plainte d'un annonceur comme excuse suffisante pour licencier un employé sans poser de questions, et c'est l'injustice de cette position qui a conduit M. Benchley et M. Sherwood à dire à M. Crowninshield que s'il licenciait Mme Parker, ils démissionneraient."

En 1921, Crowninshield emménagea avec Condé Nast. Crowninshield a commenté: "Je suppose que les gens pensaient que nous étions des fées." Amy Fine Collins a donné une autre explication : "la situation offrant au rédacteur en chef des logements plus chics qu'il n'aurait pu se permettre autrement, et son patron ayant accès aux liens sociaux étendus et complets de Crowninshield". Crowninshield, qui ne s'est jamais marié, a dit à son ami, Alexander Woollcott : « Les hommes mariés font de très mauvais maris.

Crowninshield a rencontré Clare Boothe en 1929. Lors de l'entretien, il lui a demandé de revenir dans une semaine avec 100 suggestions pouvant être publiées dans Salon de la vanité. Sur le résultat de cet exercice, il lui a donné un emploi sur le magazine. Clare a demandé si cela signifiait que ses idées étaient bonnes. Crowninshield a répondu : "Non, mon enfant. Certains d'entre eux sont parfaitement affreux. Mais deux au moins sont excellents. Et une bonne idée par semaine est tout ce qu'un magazine doit attendre d'un rédacteur adjoint novice."

L'une des premières tâches de Boothe a été d'écrire des légendes pour son long métrage populaire, We Nominate for the Hall of Fame . Cela comprenait des articles sur des personnes comme Thomas Mann, Ernest Hemingway, Walter Gropius, Louis Bromfield et Pablo Picasso. En août 1930, elle présenta un nouveau long métrage, We Nominate for Oblivion. Ses cibles comprenaient des politiciens tels que Reed Smott ("parce que ses principales qualifications pour occuper le poste de président de la commission des finances du Sénat sont qu'il est un apôtre de l'Église mormone de l'Utah et ne compte pas sur ses doigts") et Smith W Brookhart ("parce qu'il a fait du capital politique en s'en prenant à ceux de ses hôtes qui servent de l'alcool").

Salon de la vanité souffert pendant la Grande Dépression de la chute des revenus publicitaires. Condé Nast a annoncé en décembre 1935 que le magazine serait fusionné avec Vogue (en circulation 156 000) à partir du numéro de mars 1936. Amy Fine Collins a fait valoir : « Victime de la Dépression, le magazine a perdu des annonceurs - dont Crowninshield avait de toute façon toujours ignoré l'existence. Mais Salon de la vanité était également en décalage avec le temps. Dans les années 30, avec l'économie et le fascisme au premier plan des préoccupations des lecteurs, les abonnés se sont davantage tournés vers une couverture médiatique sans fioritures. »

Frank Crowninshield est décédé le 28 décembre 1947.

Robert Benchley a déclaré que Frank Crowninshield avait appelé Mme Parker dans son bureau ce matin-là et lui avait dit que l'éditeur, Condé Nast, lui avait suggéré de la licencier. La raison en était, avait dit M. Crowninshield, qu'elle avait tourné trois pièces de Broadway, et les producteurs de ces pièces se sont plaints à l'éditeur qu'ils avaient été traités injustement...

Il est difficile aujourd'hui d'imaginer un magazine de Salon de la vanitéL'importance de s'est ensuite imposée aux producteurs de Broadway, mais les journaux et les magazines de 1920 l'ont fait, et c'était un point sensible pour les journalistes et les critiques de théâtre à la Table ronde. De plus, dans ce cas, la position de Vanity Fair semblait être celle d'accepter une plainte d'un annonceur comme excuse suffisante pour licencier un employé sans poser de questions, et c'est l'injustice de cette position qui a conduit M. Benchley et M. Sherwood à dire à M. Crowninshield que s'il licenciait Mme Parker, ils démissionneraient.

Il était une fois, avant l'impôt sur le revenu, la Grande Guerre et la Prohibition, M. Condé Nast achetait un magazine intitulé Robe, un rival potentiel de son enfant de quatre ans Vogue. Quelques mois plus tard, en 1913, il a payé 3 000 $ pour une revue sociale, littéraire et politique britannique moisie intitulée Salon de la vanité, nommé d'après à la fois le lieu du péché dans l'allégorie du XVIIe siècle de John Bunyan La progression du pèlerin et le roman satirique du XIXe siècle de William Makepeace Thackeray. Croisant ses deux acquisitions, Nast crée Robe et Salon de la vanité, un flop à tête d'hydre. Pour sauver la situation, Nast a demandé conseil à l'homme le plus cultivé, le plus élégant et le plus attachant de l'édition, sinon à Manhattan, Frank Crowninshield.

L'esthète de la haute société - qui, plus tôt la même année, avait aidé à organiser le célèbre Armory Show, un succès de scandale qui a présenté le cubisme au public américain - a offert une solution remarquablement simple. "Votre magazine devrait couvrir les sujets dont les gens parlent", a déclaré Crowninshield à M. Nast. "Les fêtes, les arts, les sports, le théâtre, l'humour, etc." Nast immédiatement nommé rédacteur en chef de Crowninshield, et acceptant d'abandonner la première moitié de l'ancien titre, le magnat de l'édition a lancé Vanity Fair en janvier 1914. Dans sa première lettre de l'éditeur en mars, Crowninshield a proclamé avec assurance que « des jeunes hommes et des jeunes femmes, pleins de le courage, l'originalité et le génie se rencontrent partout."

De 1921 à 1927, Nast et Crowninshield ont en fait logé ensemble dans un duplex de Park Avenue - "Je suppose que les gens pensaient que nous étions des fées", a déclaré l'éditeur - une situation offrant au rédacteur en chef un logement plus chic qu'il n'aurait pu se permettre autrement, et son patron avec accès aux connexions sociales étendues et complètes de Crowninshield....

Qu'est-ce donc qui a tué Salon de la vanité, mort à 22 ans en 1936 ? Victime de la Dépression, le magazine a perdu des annonceurs - dont Crowninshield avait de toute façon toujours ignoré l'existence. Dans les années 30, avec l'économie et le fascisme au premier plan des préoccupations des lecteurs, les abonnés se sont davantage tournés vers une couverture médiatique sans fioritures que vers V.F. des images telles que « Who's Zoo ? », qui comparait le visage de Mussolini à celui d'un singe. Nast envisage de s'émasculer Salon de la vanité en le transformant en un magazine appelé Beauté. Mais au lieu de cela, il l'a plié, avec Crowninshield, dans Vogue. À quel point l'érudit Crownie serait déconcerté d'apprendre que, neuf décennies après son installation comme éditeur - et quelque 20 ans après Salon de la vanitéla résurrection de dans son incarnation actuelle - le public de lecture d'aujourd'hui est moins familier avec Bunyan et Thackeray qu'avec le périodique qui promettait autrefois d'"enflammer un dîner à cinquante mètres".


Famille Crowninshield

La famille Crowninshield faisait partie de la société brahmane de Boston : les familles les plus riches et les plus établies de Boston. L'ancêtre de la famille était Johann Casper Richter von Kronenshcheldt, qui est venu en Allemagne avec son père, Johann Casper Richter du sud du Danemark et s'est installé dans une petite ville. Le fils de Johann Casper Richter se dirigea vers le Nouveau Monde et arriva à Salem, dans le comté d'Essex, dans le Massachusetts, en Amérique du Nord en 1680.

  • Famille Derby
  • Famille Boardman
  • Famille Bradlee
  • La famille Fairbanks
  • Famille Hodges
  • Famille Putnam
  • famille gallois
  • Famille Williams
  • Le capitaine George Crowninshield, Jr.
  • John Cronwinshield
  • Hon. Benjamin Williams Crowninshield
  • Brvt. Brick. Gen. Casper Crowninshield
  • Rr. Adm. Arent Schuyler Crowninshield
  • Brvt. Le colonel Benjamin W. Crowninshield
  • Frances "Frank" Welch Crowninshield

  • Capitaine Hon. Jacob Crowninshield (1770-1808),  U.S. Représentant
  • Capitaine Hon. Benjamin Williams Crowninshield&# 160 (1772-1851), 5e secrétaire à la Marine des États-Unis
  • Le colonel Hon. Francis Boardman Crownisnhield (1809-1877), président de la Chambre des représentants du Massachusetts

Du Dr Johann Kasper Richter von Kronescheldt et Elizabeth Allen [ modifier | modifier la source]

Capitaine George Crowninshield

Du capitaine John Crowninshield et Anstiss Williams [modifier | modifier la source]

Capitaine Hon. Jacob Crowninshield

Du capitaine George Crowninshield et Mary Derby [modifier | modifier la source]

Capitaine Benjamin Crowninshield

Du capitaine Benjamin Williams Crowninshield et Mary Boardman [modifier | modifier la source]

Le capitaine George Crowninshield, Jr.

Hon. Benjamin Williams Crowninshield

Du capitaine Francis Boardman Crowninshield et Sarah Gool Putnam [modifier | modifier la source]

  • Capitaine Francis Boardman Crowninshield (1809-1877)
    • m. Sarah Gool Putnam (c1809-1880)
      • Mary Crowninshield (1833-1834)
      • Sarah C. Crowninshield (1834-1840)
      • Le colonel Benjamin William Crowninshield (1837-1892)
        • m. Katherine M. Bradlee (-)
        • m. Capitaine Josiah Bradlee III (1837-1902)

        Photographie de l'hon. Benjamin Williams Crowninshield

        De George Casper Crowninshield et Harriet Elizabeth Sears [modifier | modifier la source]

        • George Casper Crowninshiel (baptisé 1812-1857)
          • m. Harriet Élisabeth Sears (1814-1873)
            • Cora Crowninshield (1845-1919)
              • m. Charles Boyden (1840-1881)

              Rr. Adm. Arent Schuyler Crowninshield

              De Fanny Crowninshield et John Quincy Adams [modifier | modifier la source]

                - md John Quincy Adams (1833-1894) (Voir aussi la famille politique Adams :
                  , éminent athlète universitaire et entraîneur de football à l'Université Harvard. , 44e secrétaire de la Marine, maire de Quincy, Massachusetts.
                    , premier président de Raytheon

                  De Frederick Josiah Bradlee I et Elizabeth Whitwell Thomas [modifier | modifier la source]

                  • Frédéric Josiah Bradlee I (1866-1951)
                    • m. Elizabeth Whitwell Thomas (1868-1952)
                      • Frederick Josiah Bradlee, Jr. (1892-1970)
                        • m. Chevalier Joséphine de Gersdorff (1896-1975)

                        De Frederick Josiah Bradlee, Jr. et Chevalier Joséphine de Gersdorff [modifier | modifier la source]

                        • Frederick Josiah Bradlee, Jr. (1892-1970)
                          • m. Chevalier Joséphine de Gersdorff  (1896-1975)
                            • Frédéric Josiah Bradlee III (1919-2003)
                            • Chevalier Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee (1921-2014)
                            • Constance "Connie" Bradlee (1924-1993)

                            Du major Edward Augustes Crowninshield et Caroline Marie Welch [modifier | modifier la source]

                            Francis "Frank" Welch Crowninshield, fondateur et rédacteur en chef de Vanity Fairb

                            • m. Caroline Marie Welch (1820-1897)
                              • Edward Augustes Crowninshield, Jr. (1841-1867)
                              • Frédéric Crowninshield (1845-1918)
                                • m. Hélène Suzette Fairbanks (1841-1921)

                                Du Chevalier Joséphine de Gersdorff et Frederick Josiah Bradlee, Jr. [ modifier | modifier la source]

                                • Chevalier Joséphine de Gersdorff (1896-1895)
                                  • m. Frederick Josiah Bradlee, Jr. (1892-1970)
                                    • Frédéric Josiah Bradlee III (1919-2003)
                                    • Chevalier Benjamin Crowninshield Bradlee (1921-2014)
                                    • Constance "Connie" Bradlee (1923-1993)

                                    L'histoire du Musée d'Art Moderne

                                    À la fin des années 1920, trois mécènes progressistes et influents des arts, Mlle Lillie P. Bliss, Mme Cornelius J. Sullivan et Mme John D. Rockefeller, Jr., ont perçu le besoin de remettre en question les politiques conservatrices des musées traditionnels et créer une institution consacrée exclusivement à l'art moderne. Ils, avec les administrateurs d'origine supplémentaires A. Conger Goodyear, Paul Sachs, Frank Crowninshield et Josephine Boardman Crane, ont créé le musée d'art moderne en 1929. Son directeur fondateur, Alfred H. Barr, Jr., a voulu que le musée soit consacré pour aider les gens à comprendre et à apprécier les arts visuels de notre temps, et qu'il pourrait fournir à New York «le plus grand musée d'art moderne au monde».

                                    La réponse du public a été extrêmement enthousiaste et au cours des 10 années suivantes, le musée a déménagé trois fois dans des quartiers temporaires de plus en plus grands et, en 1939, a finalement ouvert les portes du bâtiment qu'il occupe toujours dans le centre de Manhattan. Dès sa nomination en tant que premier directeur, Barr a soumis un plan novateur pour la conception et l'organisation du Musée qui se traduirait par une structure multidépartementale basée sur des formes variées d'expression visuelle. Aujourd'hui, ces départements comprennent l'architecture et le design, les dessins et les gravures, le cinéma, les médias et la performance, la peinture et la sculpture et la photographie. Des agrandissements ultérieurs ont eu lieu dans les années 1950 et 1960, planifiés par l'architecte Philip Johnson, qui a également conçu le jardin Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. En 1984, une rénovation majeure conçue par Cesar Pelli a doublé l'espace de la galerie du musée et amélioré les installations pour les visiteurs.

                                    La collection riche et variée du Musée d'Art Moderne constitue l'une des vues les plus complètes et panoramiques sur l'art moderne. D'un don initial de huit estampes et d'un dessin, la collection du Museum of Modern Art est passée à environ 200 000 peintures, sculptures, dessins, estampes, photographies, œuvres d'art médiatique et de performance, modèles et dessins architecturaux, objets de design et films. Le MoMA possède également environ deux millions de photos de films. La bibliothèque et les archives du musée contiennent la principale concentration de matériel de recherche sur l'art moderne dans le monde, et chacun des départements de conservation maintient un centre d'étude à la disposition des étudiants, des universitaires et des chercheurs. La bibliothèque du MoMA contient plus de 320 000 articles, notamment des livres, des livres d'artistes, des périodiques et de nombreux dossiers individuels sur plus de 90 000 artistes. Les archives du musée contiennent des sources primaires liées à l'histoire du MoMA et à l'art moderne et contemporain.

                                    Le musée maintient un programme actif d'expositions d'art moderne et contemporain abordant un large éventail de sujets, de médiums et de périodes, mettant en évidence les développements récents importants dans les arts visuels et les nouvelles interprétations des principaux artistes et mouvements historiques de l'art. Les œuvres d'art de sa collection sont présentées dans des installations tournantes afin que le public puisse régulièrement s'attendre à trouver de nouvelles œuvres exposées. Les programmes en cours de films classiques et contemporains vont de rétrospectives et d'enquêtes historiques à des présentations du travail de cinéastes et de vidéastes indépendants et expérimentaux. Les visiteurs ont également accès à des librairies proposant un assortiment de publications et à une boutique de design proposant des objets liés à l'art et au design moderne et contemporain.

                                    Le Musée se consacre à son rôle d'institution éducative et propose un programme complet d'activités destinées à aider à la fois le grand public et des segments particuliers de la communauté à approcher et à comprendre le monde de l'art moderne et contemporain. En plus des causeries, des conférences et des colloques, le Musée propose des activités spéciales pour les parents, les enseignants, les familles, les étudiants, les enfants d'âge préscolaire, les visiteurs bilingues et les personnes ayant des besoins spéciaux. De plus, le Musée possède l'un des programmes d'édition les plus actifs de tous les musées d'art et a publié plus de 2 500 éditions paraissant en 35 langues.

                                    En janvier 2000, le Musée et le Centre d'art contemporain P.S.1 (aujourd'hui MoMA PS1) ont exercé un protocole d'accord officialisant leur affiliation. L'arrangement final aboutit à une affiliation dans laquelle le musée devient le seul membre corporatif du MoMA PS1 et le MoMA PS1 conserve son indépendance artistique et corporative. Ce partenariat innovant élargit la portée des deux institutions et offre un large éventail d'opportunités de collaboration dans les collections, les expositions, les programmes éducatifs et l'administration.

                                    En 2006, le MoMA a achevé le projet de construction le plus grand et le plus ambitieux de son histoire à ce jour. Le projet a presque doublé l'espace pour les expositions et les programmes du MoMA. Conçu par Yoshio Taniguchi, l'installation comprend 630 000 pieds carrés d'espace nouveau et repensé. Le bâtiment Peggy et David Rockefeller, dans la partie ouest du site, abrite les principales galeries d'exposition, et le bâtiment d'éducation et de recherche Lewis B. et Dorothy Cullman, le premier bâtiment du musée consacré uniquement à ces activités, dans la partie est du site, offre plus de cinq fois plus d'espace pour les salles de classe, les auditoriums, les ateliers de formation des enseignants et la bibliothèque et les archives agrandies du Musée. Ces deux bâtiments encadrent le jardin de sculptures Abby Aldrich Rockefeller agrandi. Le nouveau musée a ouvert au public le 20 novembre 2004 et le bâtiment Cullman a ouvert ses portes en novembre 2006.

                                    Pour faire place à ce projet de rénovation et de reconstruction, le MoMA a fermé sur 53 Street à Manhattan le 21 mai 2002 et a ouvert le MoMA QNS à Long Island City, Queens, le 29 juin 2002. Le MoMA QNS a servi de base à l'exposition du musée. programme et opérations jusqu'au 27 septembre 2004, date à laquelle l'installation a été fermée en vue de la réouverture du Museum of Modern Art à Manhattan. Ce bâtiment offre maintenant des espaces d'entreposage à la fine pointe de la technologie pour le Musée.

                                    Aujourd'hui, le Museum of Modern Art et le MoMA PS1 accueillent chaque année des millions de visiteurs. Un public encore plus large est servi par les programmes nationaux et internationaux du MoMA d'expositions en circulation, de programmes de prêts, de films et de vidéothèques en circulation, de publications, de fonds de bibliothèque et d'archives, de sites Web, d'activités éducatives, d'événements spéciaux et de ventes au détail.


                                    Roseraie centenaire restaurée à Marblehead

                                    Brian McCarthy voulait acheter la totalité du domaine Crowninshield de sept acres et demi. Cependant, seulement deux acres étaient à vendre en 1996 lorsqu'un ami l'a alerté que la propriété de Marblehead était sur le marché. Vingt-cinq ans plus tard, beaucoup diraient que Brian et Nancy McCarthy ont acheté les deux meilleurs acres de la parcelle parce que la roseraie de Louise du Pont Crowninshield était enterrée et presque oubliée sur leur partie du domaine. Et tout le monde s'accorde à dire que c'était une terre chanceuse parce que Brian McCarthy a lancé une restauration complète et fidèle du jardin avec un aperçu sensible et toutes les fixations pour sa maison éternelle.

                                    />Astilbe met en valeur le topiaire d'if dans le jardin à la française.

                                    Seaside Farm, comme on l'appelle, était l'ancienne escapade estivale des Crowninshields à Marblehead, où le yachtman Francis (Frank) Boardman Crowninshield naviguait en été. Pas n'importe quel ménage, c'était une véritable version américaine de Upstairs Downstairs, avec majordomes, chauffeurs et plusieurs jardiniers. Ces jardiniers ne sont certainement pas restés inactifs. L'épouse de Frank, Louise du Pont Crowninshield, était une fervente défenseure de la préservation et fondatrice du National Trust for Historic Preservation, mais elle avait aussi le jardinage dans sa lignée, ayant grandi en errant à Winterthur, le domaine planté de manière naturaliste de son père près de Wilmington, Delaware.

                                    La roseraie qu'elle a créée dans sa maison d'été de Marblehead au début des années 1900 était à chaque centimètre le spectacle somptueux que l'on pouvait attendre d'une famille qui aimait la terre et disposait des ressources nécessaires pour réaliser une exposition de bon goût. Son style était plus formel que celui de son père, l'été était celui où elle avait besoin que son jardin brille, et les roses étaient sa passion. Elle est allée tout droit au sommet en concevant un jardin luxuriant et rempli de roses.

                                    Malheureusement, il ne restait aucun vestige de sa vision lorsque le terrain de deux acres est devenu le domaine des McCarthy. Entre la mort de Louise Crowninshield en 1958 et 1996, le domaine d'origine a été subdivisé et « il ne restait absolument rien du jardin », affirme McCarthy à propos de son terrain de deux acres. "Aucun vestige, fleur ou mur n'existait encore." Il s'est donné pour mission de récupérer la scène dans toute sa splendeur.

                                    Une maison non plus ne se trouvait plus sur les deux acres que les McCarthy avaient achetés. En conséquence, pendant les premières années de possession, ils ont été immergés dans la construction d'une maison géorgienne par excellence avec un toit en ardoise, treize lucarnes et de nombreuses colonnes, ainsi qu'une vue imprenable sur Doliber Cove à Peach's Point. Lorsque cette maison a été achevée, McCarthy a pu consacrer toute son attention au jardin.

                                    Heureusement, les photographies existaient. De plus, McCarthy a trouvé un jardinier qui a déjà travaillé sur le domaine et a rappelé les roses et les plantes vivaces exactes précédemment plantées. « Il a décrit les roses, l'herbe à chat, les haies de buis et les plantes vivaces autour de la piscine », se souvient McCarthy. "Ce fut une grande leçon d'histoire pour nous."

                                    Avec l'aide de Doug Jones des architectes paysagistes LeBlanc Jones de Boston, la restauration a commencé en 1999. Plusieurs années de travail intense ont suivi, car plusieurs pieds de murs de briques ont été recréés pour avoir l'air d'être originaux. Pendant ce temps, McCarthy fréquentait les ventes aux enchères pour trouver des sculptures appropriées pour remplir les niches du mur. Des haies de buis ont été plantées et taillées en parterres. Des glycines centenaires ont été trouvées et installées pour donner un âge instantané. Des trésors ont été déterrés.

                                    En cours de restauration, une piscine de 60 pieds sur 30 pieds a été découverte enfouie sous des acacias géants et quelques pieds de terre. « Il a été construit vers 1910-1915 et, en témoignage du savoir-faire d'origine, il n'y avait pas une seule fissure dans cette piscine », s'émerveille McCarthy. Un étang de carpes koï a également été installé, et la piscine et l'étang ont été dotés d'un système de filtration de la lumière UV à la pointe de la technologie. Des portes en fonte ont été reproduites et une serre a été ajoutée pour protéger la collection de plantes de jade vénérables d'un demi-siècle de McCarthy.

                                    Plus important encore, le jardin a refleuri. Des lierres qui grimpent aux murs et fleurissent aux vivaces qui se hérissent dans les parterres, Seaside Farm exprime son appréciation en pétales. Les roses fleurissent et refleurissent tout au long de l'été pour envoyer leur parfum flotter dans les brises. Le jardin respire et a de l'ampleur.

                                    />L'escalier d'origine nécessitait une rénovation importante.

                                    Et le passé vit. Tout au long de ce processus, les éléments existants ont été préservés. On a pris soin d'éviter un hêtre violet de 175 ans, l'un des plus grands du pays. Le sol a été amendé et du compost a été ajouté. Avec 1 100 pieds de façade océanique, des digues ont été restaurées et des plantations à l'épreuve des tempêtes ont été installées le long de l'eau.

                                    Des blocs d'herbes ornementales, de sauge russe, de sedums et de marguerites de Montauk ont ​​été installés pour une toute autre tournure que le jardin à la française. Ces plantations dansent dans les rafales de mer, encadrant la vue sur l'île Brown (maintenant l'île Crowninshield), offerte aux fiduciaires des réservations par Mme Crowninshield. « Je chante ses louanges tous les jours de l'année », déclare McCarthy. Pour un jardin brillant à Marblehead, la tradition d'intendance et d'excellence horticole reste bien vivante. « Nous nous soucions de laisser un héritage », explique McCarthy.


                                    Le musée d'art moderne d'hier et d'aujourd'hui

                                    Lorsque la toute première exposition au Museum of Modern Art de New York s'est ouverte il y a 85 ans, le 7 novembre 1929, le « museum » n'était pas exactement l'institution à laquelle les visiteurs d'aujourd'hui pourraient s'attendre. À l'époque, la couronne muséale de la ville était incontestablement entre les mains du Metropolitan Museum of Art. Le Met n'a pas partagé la vedette et le Met n'a pas fait de modernité. En retour, les artistes de l'époque avaient levé le nez dans ses salles sacrées en le regardant, comme le disait TIME à l'époque, "uniquement comme un rendez-vous pour les filles du magasin et leurs beaux, un abri pour les nourrices et les bébés les jours de pluie , un ‘point d'intérêt’ pour les gens de l'extérieur.”

                                    Lorsque sept collectionneurs et mécènes &mdash dont Mme John Davison Rockefeller Jr. et Salon de la vanité le rédacteur en chef Frank Crowninshield &mdash a annoncé en septembre qu'ils ouvriraient un musée d'art moderne pour combler le fossé. Il s'est avéré que le fait de ne pas avoir de véritable musée ne faisait pas vraiment de différence : en mars suivant, TIME a rapporté que 1 500 personnes par jour visitaient le musée et que les administrateurs de l'institution devraient commencer à facturer l'admission, 50 cents par jour. tête, afin de mieux gérer le flux de visiteurs.

                                    En 1932, le musée a déménagé sur un site de la 53e rue qui, au fil des ans, deviendra le bâtiment qu'habite aujourd'hui le MoMA, avec six étages de galeries au lieu de six salles.


                                    Lectures sélectionnées sur l'histoire du MoMA

                                    Une histoire incomplète du MoMA et du MoMA PS1, racontée à travers des objets dans les archives. Sautez dans un moment fort de notre chronologie ou commencez par le début.

                                    Faits saillants des archives

                                    Un petit échantillon d'objets des Archives.

                                    Articles de blog du magazine et du MoMA

                                    Magazine

                                    Moyen

                                    Inside/Out, un blog du MoMA

                                    Bibliographie sur l'histoire et les collections du Musée d'Art Moderne

                                    Bajac, Quentin, éd. Être moderne : construire la collection du Musée d'art moderne. New York : Musée d'art moderne, New York, 2017.

                                    Bajac, Quentin, Christophe Cherix, Stuart Comer, Rajendra Roy, Martino Stierli et Ann Temkin. MoMA Now : 375 œuvres du Museum of Modern Art. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 2019.

                                    Barr, Alfred H., Jr. "Chroniques". Peinture et sculpture au Musée d'art moderne 1929-1967. New York : Musée d'Art Moderne, 1977, 619-650.

                                    Barr, Marguerite Scolari. "Nos campagnes : Alfred H. Barr, Jr., et le Musée d'art moderne : une chronique biographique des années 1930-1944." Le nouveau critère, numéro spécial été 1987, 23-74.

                                    Basilio, Myriam, éd. Art latino-américain et caribéen : MoMA à El Museo. New York : El Museo del Barrio et The Museum of Modern Art, 2004.

                                    Bee, Harriet Schoenholz et Michelle Elligott. L'art à notre époque : une chronique du musée d'art moderne. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 2004.

                                    Biesenbach, Klaus et Bettina Funcke, éd. MoMA PS1 : une histoire. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 2019.

                                    Butler, Cornelia H. et Alexandra Schwartz, éd. Femmes Modernes : Femmes Artistes au Musée d'Art Moderne. New York : Musée d'art moderne, 2010.

                                    Cahan, Suzanne. Monter la frustration : le musée d'art à l'ère du pouvoir noir. Durham et Londres : Duke University Press, 2016.

                                    Elderfield, John. Le dessin moderne. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1983.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Peinture et sculpture modernes : de 1880 à nos jours au Museum of Modern Art. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 2004.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Le Museum of Modern Art : l'art américain des années 60. Études d'art moderne, no. 1. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1991.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Le musée d'art moderne : Essais sur l'assemblage. Études d'art moderne, no. 2. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1992.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Le Musée d'Art Moderne : Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. Études d'art moderne, no. 3. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1994.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Le musée d'art moderne au milieu du siècle : à la maison et à l'étranger. Études d'art moderne, no. 4. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1994.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Le musée d'art moderne au milieu du siècle : continuité et changement. Études d'art moderne, no. 5. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1995.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. Le Musée d'Art Moderne : Philip Johnson et le Musée d'Art Moderne. Études d'art moderne, no. 6. New York : Le Musée d'Art Moderne, 1998.

                                    Elderfield, John, éd. The Museum of Modern Art: Imagining the Future of the Museum of Modern Art. Studies in Modern Art, no.7. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1998.

                                    Elderfield, John. Henri Matisse: Masterworks from The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1996.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 1: Charting Modernism.” Esopus Magazine, no. 7, Fall 2006, 75-86.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 2: Dear Miss Miller…: Selected Correspondence between James Lee Byars and Dorothy C. Miller.” Esopus Magazine, no. 8, Spring 2007, 66-75.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 3: Tentative and Confidential: Documents Relating to Exhibition ‘X’.” Esopus Magazine, no. 9, Fall 2007, 132-144.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 4: Drawing Comparisons: The Sketches of René D’Harnoncourt.” Esopus Magazine, no. 10, Spring 2008, 131-151.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Early Registration: Selected Pages from the Museum of Modern Art Guest Book.” Esopus Magazine, no. 11, Fall 2008, 142-159.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 6: States of Grace: Materials in the Archives relating to Grace Hartigan (1922–2008).” Esopus Magazine, no. 12, Spring 2009, 141-151.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 7: Exhibition Number 13: Henri Matisse: A Retrospective.” Esopus Magazine, no. 13, Fall 2009, 98-115.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 8: The Art of Broadcasting: The Museum of Modern Art and Television.” Esopus Magazine, no. 15, Fall 2010, 146-163.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 9: One and the Same: Celebrating the Union of Democracy and Modern Art.” Esopus Magazine, no. 16, Spring 2011, 113-121.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 10: Rent to Own: The Art Lending Service of the Museum of Modern Art.” Esopus Magazine, no. 17, Fall 2011, 116-133.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 11: Creating ‘Spaces’: Documents from the Pioneering 1969 Exhibition.” Esopus Magazine, no. 18, Spring 2012, 106-123.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 12: From Body to Object: Documents Related to Scott Burton’s Performances.” Esopus Magazine, no. 19, Spring 2013, 105-121.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 14: Imagining Possibilities.” Esopus Magazine, no. 21, Spring 2014, 44–63.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 15: The Healing Arts.” Esopus Magazine, no. 22, Spring 2015, 117–128.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 16: The Living Garden.” Esopus Magazine, no. 23, Spring 2016, 26–40.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 17: Modern Renaissance.” Esopus Magazine, no. 24, Spring 2017, 143–158.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 18: The Young Turks.” Esopus Magazine, no. 25, Spring 2018, 18–36.

                                    Elligott, Michelle. René d’Harnoncourt and the Art of Installation. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2018.

                                    English, Darby and Charlotte Barat. Among Others: Blackness at MoMA. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2019.

                                    Goldberger, Paul. “The New MoMA.” Le magazine du New York Times, 15 April 1984, 36-49.

                                    Franc, Helen. An Invitation to See. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1992.

                                    Friedman, Samantha and Jodi Hauptman, eds. Lincoln Kirstein’s Modern. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2019.

                                    Goodyear, A. Conger. The Museum of Modern Art: The First Ten Years. New York: by the author, 1943.

                                    Harvey, Michelle. “Modern Artifacts 13: Seitz Specific: Re-locating the Work of Claude Monet.” Esopus Magazine, no. 20, Fall 2013.

                                    Hellman, Geoffrey T. “Profiles: Imperturbable Noble.” Le new yorker, 7 May 1960. [profile of René d’Harnoncourt]

                                    Hellman, Geoffrey T. “Profiles: Last of Species.” Le new yorker, 19 Sept. 1942, 22-26. [profile of Frank Crowninshield]

                                    Hines, Thomas S. Architecture and Design at The Museum of Modern Art: The Arthur Drexler Years, 1951–1986. Los Angeles: The Getty Research Institute, 2019.

                                    Hunter, Sam. Introduction to The Museum of Modern Art, New York: The History and the Collection. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1984. Reprint, New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1997.

                                    Kahn, E. J. Jr. “Profiles: Resources and Responsibilities, Part I.” Le new yorker 40, no. 47, 9 Jan. 1965. [First of two-part profile of David Rockefeller]

                                    Kert, Bernice. Abby Aldrich Rockefeller: The Woman in the Family. New York: Random House, 1993.

                                    Lamster, Mark. The Man in the Glass House: Philip Johnson, Architect of the Modern Century. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2018.

                                    Lowry, Glenn D. The New Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2004.

                                    Lowry, Glenn D. The Museum of Modern Art in this Century. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2009.

                                    Lynes, Russell. Good Old Modern: An Intimate Portrait of the Museum of Modern Art. New York: Atheneum, 1973.

                                    MacDonald, Dwight. “Profiles: Action on West Fifty-third Street, Part I.” Le new yorker 29, no. 43, 12 Dec. 1953. [First of two-part profile of Alfred H. Barr, Jr.]

                                    MacDonald, Dwight. “Profiles: Action on West Fifty-third Street, Part II.” Le new yorker 29, no. 44, 19 Dec. 1953. [Second of two-part profile of Alfred H. Barr, Jr.]

                                    MoMA Highlights: 375 Works from The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2019.

                                    Reed, Peter. A Modern Garden: The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden at The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2007.

                                    Reed, Peter and Romy Silver-Kohn, eds. Oasis in the City: The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden at The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2018.

                                    Reed, Peter and William Kaizen, eds. The Show to End All Shows: Frank Lloyd Wright and The Museum of Modern Art, 1940. Studies in Modern Art, no.8. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2004.

                                    Ricciotti, Dominic. “The 1939 Building of the Museum of Modern Art: The Goodwin-Stone Collaboration,” The American Art Journal 17, non. 3, summer issue 1985, 50–76.

                                    Roob, Rona. “Alfred H. Barr, Jr.: A Chronicle of the Years 1902–1929.” The New Criterion, special summer issue 1987, 1-19.

                                    Rubin, William S. Picasso in the Collection of The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1972.

                                    Rubin, William S. Miró in the Collection of The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1973.

                                    Schulze, Franz. Philip Johnson: Life and Work. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1994.

                                    Szarkowski, John. Looking at Photographs. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1973.

                                    Szarkowski, John. Windows and Mirrors: American Photography Since 1960. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1978.

                                    Tomkins, Calvin. “Profiles: Forms Under Light.” Le new yorker 53, non. 14, 23 May 1977. [profile of Philip Johnson]

                                    Tomkins, Calvin. “Profiles: The Modernist.” Le new yorker 77 no. 34, 5 Nov. 2001. [profile of Kirk Varnedoe]

                                    Tomkins, Calvin. “Profiles: Sharpening the Eye.” Le new yorker 61 no. 37, 4 Nov. 1985. [profile of William Rubin]

                                    Umland, Anne and Adrian Sudhalter with Scott Gerson, eds. Dada in the Collection of The Museum of Modern Art. New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2008.


                                    History of Salem, Massachusetts

                                    Salem is a historic town in Massachusetts. The area was home to native people for thousands of years before being settled by the Massachusetts Bay colonists in the 17 th century.

                                    Salem is most famous for the being the site of the Salem Witch Trials in 1692 but also has a rich maritime history as well.

                                    The following is the history of Salem:

                                    • An epidemic breaks out in the Native-American villages in New England and hits the Naumkeag tribe hard, greatly reducing their numbers.
                                      and a group of settlers from the failed colony at Gloucester arrive in the area the natives call Naumkeag, which is modern-day Salem, and settle it. Conant serves as the settlement’s governor.
                                    • On June 20, John Endecott and a group of settlers from the New England Company for a Plantation in Massachusetts Bay arrive in Naumkeag with a patent to settle the area. Conant peacefully surrenders control of Naumkeag.
                                    • The Massachusetts Bay Colony charter is confirmed and the New England Company is renamed the Massachusetts Bay Company.
                                    • Naumkeag is renamed Salem, a hellenized version of the Hebrew word “Shalom” (which means peace) in honor of the peaceful agreement between Endicott and Conant.
                                    • On June 12, John Winthrop and the Massachusetts Bay Company reach the New World and land in Salem but the village can’t accommodate all of the new settlers so they continue on to Charlestown and eventually settle in Boston.

                                    Pickman House, Salem, Mass
                                    • The Ingersoll-Turner mansion, now known as the House of Seven Gables, is built by merchant John Turner.
                                    • Jonathan Corwin purchases a partially constructed house, now known as the Witch House, on Main Street (Essex Street) and completes construction on it.

                                    The Witch House, Salem, Mass, circa November 2015. Photo by Rebecca Brooks
                                    • On October 11, a group of selectman, John Ruck, John Higginson, Samuel Gardner, Timothy Landall, William Hirst, and Israel Porter, purchase Salem, Danvers and Peabody from the Naumkeag tribe for 20 pounds. Although the tribe had moved to Lowell after King Philip’s War ended, it still returned to Salem on a yearly basis until 1725 and camped on the side of Gallows Hill.
                                    • On March 1, the Salem Witch Trials begin when three women, Tituba, Sarah Good and Sarah Osbourne, are arrested on charges of witchcraft. Tituba confesses and declares that there are more witches in Salem which sparks a massive witch hunt.
                                    • On June 1, Bridget Bishop becomes the first person executed during the Salem Witch Trials when she is hanged at Proctor’s Ledge.
                                    • On July 19, Rebecca Nurse, Susannah Martin, Elizabeth Howe, Sarah Good and Sarah Wildes are hanged at Proctor’s Ledge.
                                    • On August 19, 1692, John Proctor, George Burroughs, George Jacobs Sr, John Willard and Martha Carrier are hanged at Proctor’s Ledge.
                                    • On September 19, 1692, Giles Corey is pressed to death in a field on Howard Street after refusing to to continue with his trial.
                                    • On September 22, 1692, Martha Corey, Margaret Scott, Alice Parker, Ann Pudeator, Samuel Wardwell, Mary Easty, Wilmot Redd and Mary Parker are hanged at Proctor’s Ledge. These are the last executions of the Salem Witch Trials.
                                    • On May 10, 1717, Judge John Hathorne dies at the age of 76 and is buried in the Charter Street Cemetery.

                                    “Tombstone of Col. John Hathorne, the Witch Judge, ancestor of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Salem, Mass,” color printed postcard, published by the Rotograph Co, circa 1905
                                    • On June 9, Judge Jonathan Corwin dies in Salem at the age of 78 and is buried in the Corwin family tomb in the Broad Street Cemetery.
                                    • Philip English donates a section of land on the corner of Brown and St. Peter Street, and a small wooden church, called the St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, is built there.
                                    • The Salem Courthouse on Washington Street, where the Salem Witch Trials were held, is torn down.
                                    • Sometime between 1759 – 1760, the Nathaniel Bowditch House is built on North Street.
                                    • On August 24, 3,000 angry colonists storm Salem after members of the committee of correspondence are arrested for holding a town meeting.
                                    • On October 6, a fire destroys Judge John Hathorne’s mansion on Washington Street as well as a nearby meetinghouse, seven other homes and 14 stores.
                                    • General Thomas Gage moves the Massachusetts General Court from Boston to Salem.
                                    • On February 26, a skirmish known as Leslie’s Retreat takes place in Salem.
                                    • Fort Lee is established near Fort Avenue at Salem Neck.
                                    • Merchant Joshua Ward purchases George Corwin’s property on Washington street, razes Corwin’s house and builds a large Federal-style brick mansion, the Joshua Ward House, which still stands today.
                                    • The city transforms the swamp at Washington Square into a tree-lined park called Salem Common.
                                    • The Howard Street Cemetery is established on what is now modern day Howard Street.
                                    • On July 4, Nathaniel Hawthorne is born in Salem.
                                    • The Gardner-Pingree House is built for John and Sarah Gardner on Essex Street.
                                    • The Thomas March Woodbridge House is built for tannery owner Thomas March Woodbridge on Bridge Street.
                                    • On September 21, Sophia Peabody is born in Salem.
                                    • The Joseph Fenno House is built on Hawthorne Boulevard.
                                    • Bessie Monroe House is built on Ash Street.
                                    • The Joseph Story House is built for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story on Winter Street.
                                    • In September, the Friendship is captured by the British warship the HMS Rosamond during the War of 1812.
                                    • The old Salem jail on Federal Street, where the accused witches were held in 1692, is abandoned and new jail is built on St. Peter Street.

                                    Salem Jail, St. Peter Street, Salem, Mass
                                    • The Battle of the Chesapeake and the Shannon takes place in Salem Harbor during the War of 1812.
                                    • Bowker Place is built on Essex Street.
                                    • On April 6, Captain Joseph White is murdered in his house, the Gardner-Pingree House, on Essex Street.
                                    • On May 5, 1830, a jury indicts Richard Crowninshield for the murder of Captain Joseph White. Three other men, Richard’s brother George, Frank Knapp and Joseph Knapp, are charged with abetting the crime.
                                    • On June 15, Richard Crowninshield hangs himself in his jail cell at the Salem jail.
                                    • In August, Frank Knapp’s trial ends in a mistrial and he is retried two days later and found guilty of hiring Richard Crowninshield to murder White.
                                    • On September 28, Frank Knapp is hanged in front of the Salem jail.
                                    • In November, Joseph Knapp is tried and found guilty of murder and George Crowninshield is tried and acquitted in the murder of White.
                                    • On December 31, Joseph Knapp is hanged in front of the Salem jail.
                                    • St. Peter’s Episcopal Church is torn down and a stone church is built in its place which still stands today. The stone church is much larger than the wooden church so it is built on top of some of the graves, including Philip English’s grave.
                                    • Abner Cheney Goodell purchases the old Salem jail, which still has the dungeon in the basement, and remodels it into a home.
                                    • Alexander Graham Bell holds the first public demonstration of the telephone at the Lyceum building.
                                    • The St. Nicholas Orthodox Church and Rectory is built on Forrester Street.
                                    • Caroline Osgood Emmerton purchases the House of Seven Gables and restores it to its original 17 th century appearance.
                                    • On June 17, a bronze statue of Roger Conant, which was designed by artist Henry H. Kitson and erected by the Conant Family Association, is dedicated on Brown Street.
                                    • Historian Alfred Putnam Goodell, son of Abner Cheney Goodell, begins running the Old Witch Jail tourist attraction at his home on Federal Street and allows visitors to tour the dungeon where the accused witches were kept.

                                    Interior of the old dungeon, old witch jail, Salem, Mass, circa 1935
                                    • Historic Salem, Inc. moves the Jonathan Corwin house about 35 feet to its current location, to avoid demolition when North Street is widened, and begins restoring it to its original seventeenth century appearance.
                                    • On Memorial Day weekend, the Jonathan Corwin house opens to the public as a historic house museum, called the Witch House, on Essex Street.
                                    • In the spring, playwright Arthur Miller spends a week in Salem researching the Salem Witch Trials court records for his play The Crucible.
                                    • On July 16, the Coast Guard spots and photographs unidentified flying objects over Winter Island.
                                    • The New England Telephone Company demolishes the Goodell home on Federal Street to construct its new headquarters and discovers the old dungeon underneath. The company donates two wooden beams from the old dungeon to the Peabody Essex Museum.

                                    Old Salem Jail, Historical Marker, 10 Federal Street, Salem, Mass
                                    • In June and July, several episodes of the popular television show, Bewitched, are filmed in several locations in Salem, such as the Witch House, the House of Seven Gables and the Hawthorne Hotel. The episodes sparks public interest in the trials and Salem soon becomes a popular tourist destination.
                                    • The City of Salem declares October 7 “Bewitched Day” in Salem.
                                    • The Salem Witch Trials Memorial is built on Liberty Street.
                                    • In October, scenes from the Disney movie Hocus Pocus are filmed in several locations in Salem, such as at the Ropes Mansion, Pioneer Village, Phipps Elementary School and the Old Town Hall.
                                    • On June 15, the newly built Bewitched Statue on the corner of Essex and Washington Street is dedicated.

                                    Bewitched Statue, Salem, Mass. Photo by Rebecca Brooks.
                                    • The Gallows Hill Project confirms that Proctor’s Ledge is the site of the Salem Witch Trials executions.

                                    For more info on Salem’s history, check out this article on the Salem Heritage Trail.


                                    Salon de la vanité

                                    In 1914, Crowninshield – who was considered "the most cultivated, elegant, and endearing man in publishing, if not Manhattan" [3] – was hired by his friend Condé Nast to become editor of the new Salon de la vanité. Crowninshield immediately dropped the magazine's fashion elements and helped turn the periodical into the preeminent literary voice of sophisticated American society, a position it held until 1935. As young adults, Nast and Crowninshield were roommates.

                                    During his tenure as editor, Crowninshield attracted the best writers of the era. In fact, Aldous Huxley, T. S. Eliot, Ferenc Molnár, Gertrude Stein, and Djuna Barnes, all appeared in the issue of July 1923, while some of F. Scott Fitzgerald's earliest works were published by the magazine. Dorothy Parker's first poem was bought for the magazine under Crowninshield's advisement, and the magazine was also the first to print reproductions of works by artists such as Picasso and Matisse.

                                    Crowninshield revised the magazine's policies on advertising. In 1915, Salon de la vanité published more pages of ads than any other magazine in the country, though the number dwindled under Crowninshield's leadership. The magazine lost valuable revenue, especially during and following the Great Depression, when businesses purchased fewer ads in any case.


                                    Frank Crowninshield - History

                                    L. Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz series writes a History of Mother Goose

                                    N one of us, whether children or adults, needs an introduction to
                                    Mother Goose. Those things which are earliest impressed upon our minds cling to them most tenaciously The snatches sung in the nursery are never forgotten, nor are they ever recalled without bringing back with them myriads of slumbering feelings and half-forgotten images.

                                    We hear the sweet, low voice of the mother, singing soft lullabies to
                                    her darling, and see the kindly, wrinkled face of the grandmother as
                                    she croons the old ditties to quiet our restless spirits. Une
                                    generation is linked to another by the everlasting spirit of song the
                                    ballads of the nursery follow us from childhood to old age, and they
                                    are readily brought from memory's recesses at any time to amuse our
                                    children or our grandchildren.

                                    The collection of jingles we know and love as the "Melodies of Mother
                                    Goose" are evidently drawn from a variety of sources. While they are,
                                    taken altogether, a happy union of rhyme, wit, pathos, satire and
                                    sentiment, the research after the author of each individual verse
                                    would indeed be hopeless. It would be folly to suppose them all the
                                    composition of uneducated old nurses, for many of them contain much
                                    reflection, wit and melody. It is said that Shelley wrote "Pussy-Cat
                                    Mew," and Dean Swift "Little Bo-Peep," and these assertions are as
                                    difficult to disprove as to prove. Some of the older verses, however,
                                    are doubtless offshoots from ancient Folk Lore Songs, and have
                                    descended to us through many centuries.

                                    The connection of Mother Goose with the rhymes which bear her name is
                                    difficult to determine, and, in fact, three countries claim her for
                                    their own: France, England and America.

                                    About the year 1650 there appeared in circulation in London a small
                                    book, named "Rhymes of the Nursery or Lulla-Byes for Children," which
                                    contained many of the identical pieces that have been handed down to
                                    us but the name of Mother Goose was evidently not then known. Dans ce
                                    edition were the rhymes of "Little Jack Homer," "Old King Cole,"
                                    "Mistress Mary," "Sing a Song o' Sixpence," and "Little Boy Blue."

                                    In 1697 Charles Perrault published in France a book of children's
                                    tales entitled "Contes de ma Mere Oye," and this is really the first
                                    time we find authentic record of the use of the name of Mother Goose,
                                    although Perrault's tales differ materially from those we now know
                                    under this title. They comprised "The Sleeping Beauty," "The Fairy,"
                                    "Little Red Riding Hood," "Blue Beard," "Puss in Boots" "Riquet with
                                    the Tuft," "Cinderella," and "Little Thumb" eight stories in all. Au
                                    the cover of the book was depicted an old lady holding in her hand a
                                    distaff and surrounded by a group of children listening eagerly. Monsieur.
                                    Andrew Lang has edited a beautiful English edition of this work
                                    (Oxford, 1888).

                                    America bases her claim to Mother Goose upon the following statement,
                                    made by the late John Fleet Eliot, a descendant of Thomas Fleet, the
                                    printer:

                                    At the beginning of the eighteenth century there lived in Boston a
                                    lady named Eliza Goose (written also Vergoose and Vertigoose) who
                                    belonged to a wealthy family. Her eldest daughter, Elizabeth Goose (or
                                    Vertigoose), was married by Rev. Cotton Mather in 1715 to an
                                    enterprising and industrious printer named Thomas Fleet, and in due
                                    time gave birth to a son. Like most mothers-in-law in our day, the
                                    importance of Mrs. Goose increased with the appearance of her
                                    grandchild, and poor Mr. Fleet, half distracted with her endless
                                    nursery ditties, finding all other means fail, tried what ridicule
                                    could effect, and actually printed a book under the title "Songs of
                                    the Nursery or, Mother Goose's Melodies for Children." On the title
                                    page was the picture of a goose with a very long neck and a mouth wide
                                    open, and below this, "Printed by T. Fleet, at his Printing House in
                                    Pudding Lane, 1719. Price, two coppers."

                                    M. Wm. A. Wheeler, the editor of Hurd & Houghton's elaborate edition
                                    of Mother Goose, (1870), reiterated this assertion, and a writer in
                                    the Boston Transcript of June 17, 1864, says: "Fleet's book was partly
                                    a reprint of an English collection of songs (Barclay's), and the new
                                    title was doubtless a compliment by the printer to his mother-in-law
                                    Goose for her contributions. She was the mother of sixteen children
                                    and a typical 'Old Woman who lived in a Shoe.'"

                                    We may take it to be true that Fleet's wife was of the Vergoose
                                    family, and that the name was often contracted to Goose. But the rest
                                    of the story is unsupported by any evidence whatever. In fact, all
                                    that Mr. Eliot knew of it was the statement of the late Edward A.
                                    Crowninshield, of Boston, that he had seen Fleet's edition in the
                                    library of the American Antiquarian Society. Repeated researches at
                                    Worcester having failed to bring to light this supposed copy, and no
                                    record of it appearing on any catalogue there, we may dismiss the
                                    entire story with the supposition that Mr. Eliot misunderstood the
                                    remarks made to him. Indeed, as Mr. William H. Whitmore points out in
                                    his clever monograph upon Mother Goose (Albany, 1889), it is very
                                    doubtful whether in 1719 a Boston printer would have been allowed to
                                    publish such "trivial" rhymes. "Boston children at that date," says
                                    Mr. Whitmore, "were fed upon Gospel food, and it seems extremely
                                    improbable that an edition could have been sold."

                                    Singularly enough, England's claim to the venerable old lady is of
                                    about the same date as Boston's. There lived in a town in Sussex,
                                    about the year 1704, an old woman named Martha Gooch. Elle était une
                                    capital nurse, and in great demand to care for newly-born babies
                                    therefore, through long years of service as nurse, she came to be
                                    called Mother Gooch. This good woman had one peculiarity: she was
                                    accustomed to croon queer rhymes and jingles over the cradles of her
                                    charges, and these rhymes "seemed so senseless and silly to the people
                                    who overheard them" that they began to call her "Mother Goose," in
                                    derision, the term being derived from Queen Goosefoot, the mother of
                                    Charlemagne. The old nurse paid no attention to her critics, but
                                    continued to sing her rhymes as before for, however much grown people
                                    might laugh at her, the children seemed to enjoy them very much, and
                                    not one of them was too peevish to be quieted and soothed by her
                                    verses. At one time Mistress Gooch was nursing a child of Mr. Ronald
                                    Barclay, a physician residing in the town, and he noticed the rhymes
                                    she sang and became interested in them. In time he wrote them all down
                                    and made a book of them, which it is said was printed by John
                                    Worthington & Son in the Strand, London, in 1712, under the name of
                                    "Ye Melodious Rhymes of Mother Goose." But even this story of Martha
                                    Gooch is based upon very meager and unsatisfactory evidence.

                                    The earliest English edition of Mother Goose's Melodies that is
                                    absolutely authentic was issued by John Newbury of London about the
                                    year 1760, and the first authentic American edition was a reprint of
                                    Newbury's made by Isaiah Thomas of Worcester, Mass., in 1785.

                                    None of the earlier editions, however, contained all the rhymes so
                                    well known at the present day, since every decade has added its quota
                                    to the mass of jingles attributed to "Mother Goose." Some of the
                                    earlier verses have become entirely obsolete, and it is well they
                                    have, for many were crude and silly and others were coarse. Il est
                                    simply a result of the greater refinement of modern civilization that
                                    they have been relegated to oblivion, while the real gems of the
                                    collection will doubtless live and grow in popular favor for many
                                    ages.

                                    While I have taken some pains to record the various claims to the
                                    origin of Mother Goose, it does not matter in the least whether she
                                    was in reality a myth, or a living Eliza Goose, Martha Gooch or the
                                    "Mere Oye" of Perrault. The songs that cluster around her name are
                                    what we love, and each individual verse appeals more to the childish
                                    mind than does Mother Goose herself.

                                    Many of these nursery rhymes are complete tales in themselves, telling
                                    their story tersely but completely there are others which are but
                                    bare suggestions, leaving the imagination to weave in the details of
                                    the story. Perhaps therein may lie part of their charm, but however
                                    that may be I have thought the children might like the stories told at
                                    greater length, that they may dwell the longer upon their favorite
                                    heroes and heroines.

                                    For that reason I have written this book.

                                    In making the stories I have followed mainly the suggestions of the
                                    rhymes, and my hope is that the little ones will like them, and not
                                    find that they interfere with the fanciful creations of their own
                                    imaginations.


                                    Voir la vidéo: Louise du Pont Crowninshield: Powerful Preservationist with Caroline Western (Mai 2022).